Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorable Day

We took our 15 month old daughter to her first Memorial Day parade and ceremony, yesterday. It was another life changing day for me. One of those things you can only learn from being a parent.

My daughter will learn to love her country from her parents and her family. And she will learn it from her community and from her nation. She will learn it from before she can remember. It will not simply be a few semesters in school. She will not remember yesterday. Neither will most of the 3 and under kids at yesterday's ceremony. She will be bored in the coming years, as were the 3-10 year olds, yesterday. But one day, all of the memories from before she can remember will line-up and make sense. How did I learn the pride I have for our great nation? Why do I hold back tears when I see 300,000 people at a car race stand silently, with their hats off and hands over their hearts as our national anthem plays? Or at the introduction of a Medal of Honor winner or a soldier recently returning from Iraq? Because I was raised, not taught, to know that we are part of the greatest nation in history. My daughter will know this as well.

1 comment:

Mac said...

Well said Geoffo!