Friday, September 09, 2005

Why They Didn't Get Water

This is the first story I have see about why water and food was not brought to the Superdome. Basically, the state wanted to evacuate them and didn't want the send a message they the people would be staying and waiting out the flood. (HH: Hugh Hewitt, MG: Major Garrett)

MG: Well, the Red Cross, Hugh, had pre-positioned a literal vanguard of trucks with water, food, blankets and hygiene items. They're not really big into medical response items, but those are the three biggies that we saw people at the New Orleans Superdome, and the convention center, needing most accutely. And all of us in America, I think, reasonably asked ourselves, geez. You know, I watch hurricanes all the time. And I see correspondents standing among rubble and refugees and evacuaees. But I always either see that Red Cross or Salvation Army truck nearby. Why don't I see that?

HH: And the answer is?

MG: The answer is the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security, that is the state agency responsible for that state's homeland security, told the Red Cross explicitly, you cannot come.

And here is the FOX NEWS video

No comments: