Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Does NASA Have a Monopoly on Woman Engineers?

I watch a lot of NASA TV and follow many of their high profile missions. I'm also a mechanical engineer who has been in the semiconductor industry for about 10 yrs. I've probably worked with 75 to 100 fellow engineers as co-workers, customers and suppliers. In my experience, I've only with about 5 female engineers. Also, at the University of ME for my BS and at the UMass Lowell for my MS, I have only had about 5 female fellow students. But when I watch NASA TV, there has got to be a 2-1 ratio of men to women!

Here's a photo of the Mars Rovers Team. I guess it's a figment of my imagination (or they trot the women out for the cameras).

Update: Mission Managers Maybe they're all just in-charge.

Let me add, that I by in no means think this is unfair. If I could get one of these jobs, I'd take it in a heartbeat (for the science, not the women, of coarse). More power to them. Of coarse, if they get the job because of their gender over a man of greater intellect, then that's wrong.

No comments: