Tuesday, May 10, 2005

The Emotion of Tragedy

This is a very sad story about a Marine killed in action – a Marine K-9. As I was reading this story, tears welled up in my eyes, and I had to resist grimaces. I felt my sorrow in my face as feelings of pride and empathy hit home. We have a dog. We have no children. As I read this, though, I wondered, “Would I be this emotional if this were a person?” I don’t think I’d be as moved. It’s sad. Why should I have more emotion for a dog than a person? I understand the sanctity of life and the love of family and friends. I have been blessed to not have yet had a human tragedy in my life. Is this why I cannot connect? Have I been desensitized? “Another solder has give their life for freedom from tyranny.” Or is it simpler?

I think it might be liked to my childhood. Dogs (animals) are so innocent. And we grow up cherishing them as that. And we learn to care for them and they care back. And as a child we are allowed to cry – to show emotion. So maybe as an adult, I allow myself to show emotion about animals and I stay stoic in the face of human tragedy.

The reality is, it’s a little of both.

No comments: