Monday, July 06, 2009

Courage vs. Leadership

The Sarah Palin experiment is over. And I, for one, am glad. She was never suited for president. Courage aplenty, but leadership, no. I credit her with opening the dialogue for the average Joe, and for showing that anyone who wants change should get off their butt and make the change themselves. But was she ready to lead the free world? Not a chance. Powerline has a fitting soliloquies:

--------------
In all three scenarios, Palin is unfit for high office, and certainly unfit to be the vice president or the president of the United States. Moreover, Palin's resignation confirms how disappointingly reckless it was of John McCain to choose the then-untested governor to be his running-mate.

And what are we to make, in retrospect, of the euphoria that greeted McCain's selection of Palin -- a euphoria that made the Republican convention seem so strange to me that, for the first time in my life, I felt I had returned to the real world when I arrived back in Washington, DC? I imagine the euphora was founded on the desperation Republicans felt as we saw the presidency slipping away, having already lost control of Congress.

No comments: