Monday, October 29, 2007

Proud of Our Heros

Confessional: This is a stream of conciousness inspired by this video about the hero's who are sacrificing for our great country.



looking at the sweaty finger prints on my mouse pad

I really can't fathom the sacrifice of our soldier. I can't go away for a night and not miss my daughter. These people go away for more than a year. And maybe never come home. Why can I not fathom this? Why wasn't I taught this? I suppose it's unteachable. I'm a supporter. But there are people who watch this and don't feel the way I do - unspeakable, unthinkable pride?

You can't know this unless you take the leap and sacrifice. How can I sacrifice? And will I? Money? Time? What gave these people the courage to do it? Who taught them it was worth it?

They are heroes, not victims. They don't want pity. They want support. We should feel proud. We should feel sad for them. But not because they shouldn't be there, but because they have to be there and they do it voluntarily. I cry when I watch this - they are tears of pride.

No comments: