Monday, February 12, 2007

Is Seeing Believing?

Analogy: The war in Iraq is like broadcasting capitol punishment. Opponents of capitol punishment say that we should broadcast our executions, because if people saw how cruel executions are, they would not support capitol punishment. I think they are probably right. The war in Iraq is broadcast day and night. More specifically, the violence and terrorist attacks are headlined hourly.

War is like capitol punishment. It's a necessary evil. I don't like either, but I believe both are necessary. I don't have to watch it. I have have to like it. But I believe it a means to an end. I don't have to see it.

"Three bomb attacks at markets in central Baghdad killed at least 64"

Hours before this headline, this story was written. (Pajamas Media)

"Baghdad is still enjoying some days of relative calm interrupted only with minor sporadic incidents. In general there’s a feeling that these days are better than almost any other time in months."

No comments: