Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Stay outa my life!

I am embarrassed to have to write about this. I'm embarrassed that people think that they belong in this conversation. I'm ashamed of congress for getting involved. This is none of anyone's business other than the family’s'.

Doesn't the law bestow upon the spouse guardian rights? Doesn't this rights cover many aspects of married life? Isn't this one of the rights gays are fighting to get in marriage? I hope so. I hope my wife is my guardian. I married her to be my life. She is my life. She makes the decisions for me if I can't make these decisions. I trust her with my life. So don't take that away from me. And don't take away her right to her inheritance. Don't take away her right to my 401k benefits or my IRA funds. And all of the other inalienable rights bestowed upon a spouse. If this case becomes precedence, what's to keep others from getting involved in all of these other situations? And how far do we go in allowing involvement? Immediate kin? One degree of separation? Or two if the first degree is suspicious or lives an "immoral" lifestyle? A nationwide ballot question?

I'm not happy that we're talking about this case. I'm very sad. And it’s sad that there are people who are thriving on this moral dilemma. That this is some philosophical, hypothetical scenario. A humorous "would you rather..." game. This is about a husband making a decision for his wife. He may be a bad guy. He may have ulterior motives. He may be trying to finally fulfill he wife's wishes. We don't know. And we shouldn't care. This isn't about whether Terri is conscious, has responsive, or in a vegetative state. This is about a spouses right; a spouses responsibility to act for their partner.

No comments: